Saturday, June 13, 2009

Update from Afghanistan

I received a few emails from Cpt. Tammy this morning. The main thing I wanted to let you know is not to be concerned with what design is on the aprons or blankets, if it's farm animals, cars, bears with angel wings, fairies, etc. She said they aren't that strict in the area they're in, and will be so grateful to receive anything. She said to use whatever we have access to.

I'll be posting more of this information on http://www.susanround.com/

Also, Tammy suggested the idea of making scarves for the Afghani women and young girls. Of course! I'll let you all know when I get the answers on "What size?" and "Knitted and crocheted, too?" I'm looking through the donated fabrics with a whole new eye. Whatever is the same on both sides is going through my serger with the rolled hem foot on! Anything from sheer, flannel, silk, wool, cotton, polyester can be used.

UPDATE: I just received word from Tammy that the scarf given to her measures 36" X 72" and can be made from lace, silk, all colors (even though darker ones launder better). You can use white, black, plaids, paisleys and any color you want. She didn't mention the size scarves for the young girls. I'll let you know when I hear more.

Basically we're talking about two yards of fabric with about 5-6" cut off along the selvedge and hemmed. Hmm. I guess I was expecting smaller. I did check out a few sites regarding Afghani womens clothing and there were several different sizes of scarves ranging from 3-4" wide to 22" wide by 72".

No comments:

Post a Comment